At yesterday's Swift London Meetup Simon Gladman (aka @FlexMonkey) presented the Gray Scott cellular automata application he had been developing to explore threading in iOS using NSOperation. During the presentation there were a couple of things that were apparent and looked possible to improve on. Firstly Simon had used a timer to work around a difficulty that he had in calling back onto the main thread and secondly he found that he got better performance using an NSMutableArray than using Swift Arrays. When I got home I forked the repo and got to work. This post describes the changes I made. The bulk were made together in parallel before I even ran the code but I will break down the changes.
This post describes the significant changes that resulted in needing less code, being clearer (at least in my view) and actually speeding up some sections by about 18 times. This speedup is in particular array processing code and largely the result of changing from NSMutableArray to a Swift array of structs which should be accessed with much less indirection. This improvement wasn't a direct path and if you browse the branches in my fork of the Repo you can see some dead ends and some of the steps along the way. The changes I'm discussing in this post can be seen in the pull request.
Read more »