Posts for Tag: AsyncSequence

AsyncSequence -> Combine - equivalence (Part 1)

One of the interesting things from WWDC this year in not just that Swift is adopting AsyncSequence but that Apple is fully behind it rather than further expanding support for Combine. This raises some interesting questions for the future of Combine, whether it is just destined to be a niche feature just supporting SwiftUI in particular ways, gets completely deprecated in future. This series (possibly just pair) of blog posts is going to compare the two by means of implementing mappers in both ways between them.

[Update: Marin Todorov has a nice post about the reverse if you want to get ahead on that.] 

if you want to have

While I haven't had the opportunity to use it in a real project yet I'm really liking the look of AsyncSequence and the whole of the structured concurrency approach.

These mappers will be implemented as raw conformances because the point is for me to learn and understand more. There may be better, more efficient or simpler approaches but I want to look into the details of how they work. I'll follow up if I find significantly better ways to do it.

Resuming continuations from actors doesn't work (Beta1-2)

One thing that has delayed this post is having hit some non-deterministic bugs I lost confident in my understanding of the Structured Concurrency and didn't want to share widely until I had established that the issues I was seeing were related to Swift/MacOS bugs rather a deadlock I was introducing by doing something substantially wrong.

Swift AsyncSequence Performance Experimentation


At WWDC 2021 amongst the other async talks there was the Meet AsyncSequence talk which amongst other things demonstrated new APIs for getting async sequences of bytes from files or URLs. I was curious as to how they would perform so I did a few tests. Note that the FileHandle and URL bytes properties do not seem to be working in Xcode 13 beta 1 but the version on URLSession does seem to work and can be used for files - see the updates on my last post 

This is a very first pass with some rough numbers to get a feel for rough ballpark feeling. This is iOS 15 beta 1 (on iPhone XS) and Xcode 13 beta 1. Testing was done with -O (speed) optimisation setting. The tests themselves will be at the end of this post. I configured the tests to run just the once because first run performance was consistently slower and I thought therefore more representative of file reading where the file is not already loaded.

As a baseline I included a pure synchronous read into a Data object. The AsyncSequence approach should not get close to the performance of this as it has to do a great deal more context switching at least function calls whereas that is straight-line on a single thread code.

Results